Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Rocky Point, Mexico


I spent a couple days in Rocky Point this weekend, my home away from home...literally. There is something so amazing about the way I feel in Mexico. And, I've seen it's effect on others as well. Mexico seems to wash over some people, like the waves that come up on the beach and smooth out the sand. Mexico smoothes us out.

We took Jeff's dad and step mom with us this time and I got to see Mexico's charm wash over on Jeff's step mom. Kim, a tiny lady, seems bigger than her stature because of her larger than life passion for the things she loves: her family and her Catholic faith. Although happy enough, Kim sometimes seems burdened with her obligations and ambitions (which are also admirably larger than life). But, not in Mexico. In Mexico, Kim smoothed right out.

We went straight to the fish market when we arrived. Kim immediately took to the local shopping scene, finding herself several Mexican treasures to take back home. After shopping, we headed to a cantina for lunch. To my surprise (and delight) Kim ordered a Corona. Then I heard her say it. What I know is in my heart and what makes me in love with anybody who says these six words, "There is something about this place." And there it is.

I'm not exactly sure what that "something" is for Kim, or how exactly Mexico smoothes her out. But for me, Mexico makes me feel like I can rest without guilt. And that is what smoothes me out (and the shot of tequila - Ey yi yi! ARRIBA, MI AMIGAS!)

2 comments:

Lexy said...

Glad you guys had fun in Mexico - I totally agree about life being better there. The pace of live is so much more healthy and peaceful. The perfect place to leave our craziness behind.

Karen said...

And the perfect place to spend the best day of my life with all of the people I love MOST!!!!!