Monday, December 22, 2008

Tale of Two Kidneys - Chapter Nine

I came home from the hospital today. Recovery is a little harder than I expected. Since I bounced back so quickly after both my kids I thought I would do the same with this surgery. The pain has definitely humbled me.

The surgey went great. They told me that when they woke me up in post-surgery I kept saying, "The boy, the boy," over and over but I don't remember much. It wasn't until Sunday that I finally got word about the boy. A doctor came in to check on me. He said he was the one that did the transplant to the boy. He thanked me on behalf of the boy's family and said the surgery went good. He said the boy was very small from being so sick and it was hard to fit my kidney in him but they managed to do it. He said the boy had never eaten well and that dialysis had beaten up his body but since the surgery he kept asking for more food. The doctor was joking that they couldn't seem to get him enough food. The doctor also told us that the boy will never need dialysis again and that he was already asking if he could go play in the playroom at the children's hospital. He is feeling well and that makes this all worth it.

8 comments:

Chris said...

I am extremely proud of you!

La Gitana Que Viaja said...

So happy to hear that everything went beautifully!

Lexy said...

Welcome home! I'm so glad to hear that the little boy is doing well too. Glad you have time at home over Christmas to build back your strength. Merry Christmas.

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Wonderful news. Hope you will start feeling better soon. What a wonderful gift to give someone. So glad to hear the little boy is recovering well.
Really enjoyed reading about the journey leading up to this glorious moment. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for having such a big heart. You are an amazing, inspirational woman. God Bless You.
May you all have a Blessed Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! Many blessings for good health all around in 2009!

Arween said...

What wonderful, amazing news! I'm so glad that you got to hear about the little boy and that he is doing well. Have a very Merry Christmas!!
:)Veronique

Karen said...

I'm so glad to hear you are back home and feeling better!!! What an amazing gift. Hope to see you soon!

Amy said...

Happy to hear you're home and everything went well with your surgery and it sounds like the boy is doing well too! Have a very Merry Christmas knowing that you gave this little boy the best Christmas present ever!