Sunday, January 18, 2009

Equal Rights Now



I am so proud of my friend Veronique for standing up for what she believes in and for inviting me to stand along side her. Last weekend she and I attended an Equal Marriage Rights rally in downtown Phoenix. There was good music, motivating speakers and, just like this weekend, you could not have asked for more beautiful weather.




Veronique and I talked about our families and our disappointment that we stood among many people who do not have family rights. We listened to stories of couples who have been together longer than Veronique and I have been married to our husbands. We heard from people who have been fighting discrimination almost as long as we have been alive. They are doctors, they are lawyers, they are bus drivers, housekeepers, and school teachers. They are women, they are men. They are warriors. They are heroes. People call them names, tell them they are committing crimes and sins, or worse, ignore them completely. They are clearly second class citizens in this great country.


I admire my friend Veronique. She showed up there to tell the gay and lesbian community that we are not all the same. There are those of us who believe everyone deserves to love who they love and we will support them and will fight for their rights along side them.
What I think is so amazing about Veronique is that she doesn't have to be gay or lesbian to want to help those who are. She isn't looking out for only herself or ideals that support her way of life. She sees a group of people suffering and she wants to help them.

It's truly inspiring.




1 comment:

Christine said...

So, so, so proud of you! Good work!