After the kidney donation, I have been looking for a cause or non-profit organization to get involved with but I have not been able to find anything that really fires me up like the donation did. I discovered that it is difficult to find charity events that are on weekends or week nights and are close to where I live. It is hit or miss when I go on VolunteerMatch.com and I found myself wasting a lot of time filling out forms and answering Volunteer Ads that don’t fit my availability or are in North Phoenix or Scottsdale, too far to drive for a couple hours of volunteer time.
So, I decided to use my energy to create a little non-profit of my own. It’s called Phoenix Volunteers. My goal is to make it easier for busy people (like myself) to volunteer a couple hours of their time each month. I invested in a website linked below.
This is how it works. I do all the work checking out various sources (newspapers, websites, etc.) looking for volunteer opportunities. Then I call the organization and get the details and pledge a certain number of volunteers. Next, I advertise the opportunity on the website and try to recruit volunteers. Volunteers do not have to fill out any forms and I will take care of all the arrangements, details and instructions. All volunteers have to do is show up and help! There is an event held once a month and I attend every event myself. May, June and July events are already scheduled.
I would really appreciate it if anyone that reads my blog would please take a look at the website and forward it to anyone you know that might be interested in using Phoenix Volunteers to help make volunteering their time easier.
If you would be interested in volunteering for one of the upcoming events or registering for the monthly online newsletter, please visit the website.
Thanks!
www.phoenixvolunteers.org
2 comments:
This is awesome. I totally relate to how hard it is to find volunteer opportunities when you work all week. Most of the planned parenthood speaking opportunities are at 2pm on a Tuesday in Glendale or something similar that make it impossible for me to participate. Thanks for taking the initiative to start something yourself!
I love this idea...even though I don't 'work', most places don't want to deal with a 17 month old :P I'll spread the word. Any chance you would occasionally have ideas for this side of town?? Sorry I missed you all on Saturday!
Post a Comment