Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The Tao - Verse Three

Putting a value on status
will create contentiousness.
If you overvalue possessions,
people begin to steal.
By not displaying what is desirable,
you willcause the people's hearts to remain undisturbed.

The sage governs
by emptying minds and hearts,
by weakening ambitions and strengthening bones.

Practice not doing...
When action is pure and selfless,
everything settles into its own perfect place.


I can best relate to this verse with a story, based on real life.

Once upon a time I came across true humility. It appeared that he was completely lacking an appreciation for luxury. At first I found him naive and I pitied the way he had overlooked trend and ambition. As I got to know him better I began to see that his disregard for fancy things was intentional. And then there came an awful moment when I found myself embarrassed by the over abundance and overvalued possessions all around me. In that moment I felt exposed, humiliated and even angry that he had not pointed out my flawed ways. And though we never spoke of this, and my epiphany may have gone unnoticed by him, his smile was ever soft and accepting and so I began to laugh. I threw back my head and unabashedly laughed at the mistake I had made and at the irony of the Mirror of Judgment.

And so I learned contentment and the ability to say with conviction – All that I need I have right now.

To my brother - a sage of wisdom, indeed.

1 comment:

Karen said...

wish we could see you guys more often:) :(