Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Tao - Verse Five

Heaven and earth are impartial;
They see the 10,000 things as straw dogs.
The sage is not sentimental;
he treats all his people as straw dogs.

The sage is like heaven and earth;
To him none are especially dear,
Nor is there anyone he disfavors.
He gives and gives, without condition,
offering his treasures to everyone.

Between heaven and earth
is a space like a bellows;
empty and inexhaustible,
the more it is used, the more it produces.

Man was made to sit quietly and find
the truth within.


These days I set less goals. I know this is contrary to everything society has told me about ambition, success and fulfillment, but for me, happiness is found with less goals. I feel the need to shed myself of goals because many of them require me to attach myself to a specific outcome. The outcome was one I derived from some conclusion I came to about what is best for me. Yet, that's the problem right there. The idea that I actually know what is best for me. You see, I can't count the times that I thought some event in my life was going to be great but turned out to be wrong for me. Or something happened that I thought was horrible only to discover in retrospect that it was the best thing for me. Therefore, I have no choice but to conclude that I could not possibly know what is best for me.
So, I punt. I give up the ball and take to the defense, which is to say I adjust and adapt to whatever comes at me, accepting it as what I must need at the time. I do experience attachment to outcomes, of course. I recognize immediately the need for a specific result when I feel the sting of disappointment. But I am able to recognize it for what it is and move past it quickly.
As for goals then, it's like my friend Kelly Anne says: Not so much.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just got back from Minnesota. The trip reminded me of the summers I spent there as a kid -- fishing, swimming in the lake, water skiing, tubing, riding 4-wheelers, driving the boat and getting bit by mosquitoes. And, I got to see my 80-year-old grandma, a women who fills me with comforting memories of being loved!





You haven't experienced Minnesota until you pet a sleeping pig.

3 comments:

La Gitana Que Viaja said...

Looks like a fantastic trip to MN!!!

And I hear you on the goals! I've been losing weight and someone asked if I had a goal--oh, the look of shock when I said "no, not so much". ;-)

Christine said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation. Such a happy family.

Ana said...

You are amazing. What a sweet family vacation. And I love the Tao! I think I'm a Roman Catholic Taoist. Ish.

I wish I could get rid of the goals list. Might make that a goal for next year... :)