I received this email at Phoenix Volunteers:
I know I could search google and find thousands of results for volunteer opportunities here in Phoenix, but I would really prefer some expert advice.
I've made a real mess of my life in the last 3 years. In 2007 I was arrested for the first time. I got a felony DUI and had to serve just enough jail time to lose EVERYTHING. I started doing meth and lost control... and by June 09 I found myself in prison facing an unknown amount of time. There were several things I probably should have gone down for, but I was lucky enough to get a second chance. Since getting out in January I have kept myself distracted getting a job, an apartment, and a car. Now that I have re-established some semblance of a normal life, I have more free time and nothing to do with it. In the 2+ years I was on meth I lost all of my real friends and before long everyone I knew did drugs.
I am not that person. I never was. I've done a lot of bad in a short period of time and I can't think of any better way to feel better about myself and meet people who don't do drugs. I want to do something that really helps someone... create some good karma. I have a lot to offer, I'm just not sure how to apply it.
I'm a 25 year old IT professional with a strong aptitude for logical/mechanical problem solving. In other words I can build or fix anything. I seem to be a very good teacher, as I relate well to different personalities and can almost always find a way to accurately convey my point. I live in North Phoenix and work M-F 8am-5pm close to home.
I did my best to keep this short, and I am very grateful for any advice you may have.
I reached out to Chris and we talked for awhile and I invited him to a Volunteer Event last weekend. I followed up with him afterwards to see how it went and how he felt. He said he would be back. And, as a favor to me, he used his IT skills to upgrade my website on several search engines and he created this blog for us.
http://phoenixvolunteers.blogspot.com/
Chris is the guy standing behind me, leaning. He laughs about this photo; says he thought the camera was moved over more and he was trying to squeeze into the picture.
Here's to a new friend. I pray he can stay on a good path.
1 comment:
Wow! How inspiring! I hope he stays on the right path. Seems he has a good grasp on fixing the rights he has done wrong. Wish more people with his path could turn themselves around.
Post a Comment