
So far, out of 18 days in November, I have been sick 14 of them. First, I had an eye infection for 10 days, now I have some kind of virus that has stripped my voice away (you don't realize how much you yell at your kids until you can't anymore).
I've been reading a book by an author who believes that life is not a school full of lessons to learn, but rather we already know everything and we came here to experience. There is a difference between conception (knowing) and experience (doing).
“The soul knows all there is to know all the time. Yet knowing is not
enough. The soul seeks to experience.”
“You can know yourself to be generous, but unless you do something which displays generosity, you have nothing but a concept.”
The author says there are only two emotions for which all other feelings can be derived: fear and joy. They are opposites. And we must experience one so that we understand the other. If you never had fear, you could not distinguish joy from it. Experiencing fear is what makes us appreciate joyfulness so much.
So, as I sit here with my cough drops and kleenex, pleading away this cold, begging the powers that be to cure me, it occurs to me that maybe it is I who chose illness so that I may truly experience wellness.
Or, maybe it's the cough suppressant talking.
2 comments:
Oh, I so hear you. I've been hacking for about a month now and can't get rid of the gick in my chest. I went warm clothes shopping at the Patagonia store here in Portland today and the sales guy helping me is working on his Masters in TCM and acupuncture. He recommended one of his instructors, so I'm going to give it a try. OTC and anti-biotics aren't cutting it so I'm ready to try anything.....even needles. Eeek!
I do think the bad helps us to appreciate the good in life. Hope you feel better soon for your many Thanksgiving festivities! Enjoy putting up your tree this weekend!!
Post a Comment