Saturday, December 09, 2006

How To Save A Life


Recently my 16-year-old brother moved back to Arizona to live with my dad. Although I am trilled at his arrival, the circumstances of his return are less than desirable. He was sent here in hopes that something here, SOMEONE here can get him out of the trouble and destruction he was in.

I can’t help but think about my own adolescence. Each of us has to warrior our own way through this time. It’s a bloody, raged battle for some of us; one that demands that you confront the harsh realities of the world without help from others. It’s not that others don’t want to help, it’s that they don’t know how or that they are too tired and wounded from their own life.

But, I can’t help be disappointed in my adultness. I can’t help but think how I have failed my little brother in some way; how all adults in his life have failed him somehow. Of course, I truly believe that everyone in his family loves him with greatness unmeasured. And, I have loved him as I knew how to up until now. But, now I know better and must do better.

For some of us adolescence will stalk its victim. It will sneak up and attack you from behind. If you were not warned with wisdom, if you were not prepared with weapons of self defense, the violence of real life exposing itself to childish eyes can be horrifying. Somehow we let him into this battle unprepared, unarmed, and worst of all – alone. Where did we go wrong? It’s not a question of blame, more a plea for help. Not help for him. Help for us – the adults that let it happen.

1 comment:

Lexy said...

I admire your dedication and commitment to your brother. With strong people who love him and role models to look to who are fun and hard-working, he is luck to have you and Jeff to be positive influences on his teen life. But of course we all have to learn some of our own lessons and make our own mistakes too. It's so very hard to watch those we love when they are struggling.