Sunday, May 06, 2007

Rootin' Tootin' Good Time


For those of you who have not been to Rawhide, it's a western theme park with shops, restaurants, stage coach rides, donkey rides, and cowboy shoot-out shows. We had not been to it since the park recently relocated to just south of Awatukee. That is, until last weekend! My dad picked this spot for our bi-monthly family outing.

My nieces and Tanner had a good time. As for me, the piece of chocolate homemade fudge made the entire visit!


It was just the type of good-natured torture that my 16-year old brother is used to around us. Poor kid had to hang out with all us old folks plus three screaming children. But, you remember being a teenager, right? Having to hang out with embarrassing, lame adults is part of your passage into independence!

The best memories I have of my dad are from family vacations. My dad would get really excited about visiting theme parks and Old West history museums. These were the times when he seemed most like a kid; he was happy and...well...goofy! I used to love it when he was like that. In fact, I still do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great time! Zach was actually looking for a rattlesnake to bite him so he could get away from us. Jeff was all blissed out on the fudge. Sarah was reflecting on her boyfriend with Grandpa, which prompted Gramps to tell the story of his first girlfriend. He said, "But I wasn't her boyfriend for very long." And Sarah asked, "Why? Were you cheap?" Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

BTW Since I'm so blog happy today, I must publish a nod to my Twisted Sister-in-law. We had a birthday party this weekend and I was so overwhelmed and unprepared for the 30mph winds and trying to set up while wrangling the baby. Near the point of tears, I flipped open the cell phone and dialed SuperCynthia. I said "I need help!" She said, "I'll be right there." And there she was throwing together a fruit salad the Wiggles would envy and making a herd of sandwiches, etc. etc. There is no way I could have pulled it off without her. Ya'll already know this, but now it's in the blog archives: Cynthia Rocks!

Karen said...

I love this post. These are the types of outings I remember from my childhood that made the day seem like the biggest day of the year. There is nothing more precious than a loving family to be yourself with... fun!