One of the things I have learned to get used to while working in corporate America is to never get too comfortable with anything. Things change quickly, unexpectedly, and whether you’re ready or not.
Speaking of change, I have not yet been at Avnet for 2 years and I am about to get my third boss. I am leaving a traditional Human Resources department to help develop a new department commonly being referred to now days as Organizational Development (OD). I’m taking on a role with a title called Employee Development. The first thing the VP of OD (my new boss) asked me to do is to write my own job description. I absolutely love this. It’s not the first time I’ve taken a job and then been asked – so what exactly can you do in this role? These are my favorite opportunities, the ones I get to design myself.
The next expectation laid out for me was to start defining strategic plans around the growing global issue of future labor shortages. Statistics show us that populations are shrinking in many countries. Many people believe there will come a day when we have more jobs than qualified people to fill them. So where will we find our future employees? Here are some questions I will be working to answer:
- How do we reach out to mothers whose children are in school or grown who want to return to the workplace and re-launch their careers?
- How do we help people who have retired but find themselves wanting to work, maybe part time or part of the year?
- How do we attract the fewer and fewer college graduates that are entering the workforce? (More people are graduating from college than ever before, but the population in shrinking so there are just less people with college degrees).
- How do we identify who our top performers are and how do we encourage them to stay?
- How do we prepare and train our employees for the rising globalization of business (handling all the business we do with other countries)?
Anyway, I’m not sure where I am going to start. But, I am trilled at the opportunity to be part of something that is driven not just by my business but also by world trends. The VP of this department is a forward thinking women with a brilliant business mind. I am trilled to be part of her team.
Although there have been some tough times to get through, the opportunities I’ve had at Avnet so far are outstanding! I’m so glad I made the move and am really enjoying my work.
4 comments:
Thank you. You are a good girl for listening to me. But I still had to get out my dictionary to get through that one.
Here's one idea: Older workers who are under 65 would be very motivated to come to part time work if the employer offered health insurance even for part time work. The ability to get group insurance before 65 is a major deal for the boomers.
If you use that one, you have to buy me dinner and a mojito.
Congrats Cindy on really, truly enjoying your career changes and the opportunities thay lie before you.
I'm certain Avnet realizes what an important asset you are and you will have many more opportunities to come!! Good luck with the new position!
On a completely different note, could you send me a quick email with Jeff's feet size when you get a chance?
And even further from the direction of your post, I'm excited for your quick trip into Denver and meeting up for happy hour!
"Enjoy the wine, everything else will fall into place".. I love that.
Congrats! It is the best feeling in the world to love what you do! BTW, loved what Grandma told Tanner!
Congrats on the new job! I just love your attitude when it comes to your job and work. You are really lucky to love what you do! Looking forward to seeing you on Friday night for some wine and dinner!
Post a Comment