I’m about to write the two words that I truly believed I would never utter again…I’m pregnant.
I apologize if anyone feels that this blog is not the best way to share my news, but right now it’s the right way for me. I have always been honest about being a parent….the good and the bad. So please understand that I will not deny myself the truth of this situation. If you’ve ever felt this blog was too personal, well you might want to stop reading now. And, with all due sincerity and sensitivity, I know that many women - many of my friends, have faced challenges getting pregnant. I can honestly say I do not know the kind of suffering that may bring...all I can speak to is my own experiences of how an unexpected and unplanned pregnancy has changed my life. So, here is my story so far.
I don’t know how this happened. Jeff and I were not planning on having any more children; in fact, we were talking about permanent birth control options. We’ve always been careful and have used a birth control method that worked well for the past 4 years.
Even after signs that I might be pregnant, I denied it to myself. I finally got enough courage to take a pregnancy test back in early August, which gave me a false NOT PREGNANT reading. At that time, I have to admit that I felt so relieved. But, another month went by and the symptoms didn’t go away, in fact they got even more obvious.
I knew something wasn’t normal, but I didn’t want to admit that I might feel regretful if I knew for sure I was pregnant. After awhile I couldn’t deny the signs any longer. I knew I had to find out. And now I know for sure...yes, I'm definitely pregnant, already 12 weeks pregnant.
My first reaction was feeling scared out of my mind. But, actually, that feeling came and left much quicker than I thought. Next came a smile, a deep breath and an overwhelming feeling of calmness and relief.
The relief came from how great it felt to let all my well established plans fall to the floor and let fate step in for a change. Oh, how I have missed good old fate! You get older and you learn to control everything, leaving no room for spontaneity and surprise. But this…this is real life! Sometimes things just HAPPEN. How we respond to life is what makes us who we are. I want to be someone that can find happiness no matter where life takes me.
Next came a sweep of reality as I consider how having only one child allows you to fit motherhood into your schedule. But, having more than one child requires fitting everything else into being a parent. Things will have to change in my life. And, believe it or not, I welcome this change. I embrace this perfect mishap. It’s the most unexpected and overwhelming pleasant surprise I’ve ever know. A beautiful blunder. The most fantastic of unwanted gifts.
Some moments change your life forever. Another baby. Two kids! Ok. I can do this. I may be surprised and scared, but my love for this baby grows stronger everyday. And, I will always be grateful for this little person for changing my life exactly the way it needed to be changed. I can't wait to meet this soul that wanted to come here so badly to have made it here against all my stubbornness and determination.
I owe Tanner the experience of creating life for the first time. I owe this baby the experience of recreating my life…for the better.
9 comments:
Congratulations! We are over the moon excited for you. You will be great at this, like everything else. No worries, we will all be right here with you all the way. And Tanner is going to be the best big brother, too!
You've made me cry....First, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Second, you're a much stronger person than you give yourself credit...your words are truly moving and inspiring, especially the part about trying to control everything and letting fate step in for a change. Controlling should be my middle name...haa haa! I'm so happy you're embracing this pregnancy...you're outlook on this pregnancy gives me a sense of courage and strength to realize maybe I can have two also!! Kisses and hugs to you and your growing family!
OH MY GOD! I'm SO happy for you!! Seriously there must be something in the water with our pool of friends! Better warn Lexie :-)
What a surprise and what a joy! I know you must be feeling so many emotions. Even when we tried to have this baby for so long, you still feel alot more than pure bliss.
Lots of love,
Jennifer
Oh my gosh. You are too funny. These exact emotions are what make you an amazing woman. I am so happy for you guys and yes, I think Tanner might like being an older brother. Congrats! xxoo
Congratulations! Your words are always honest and true and I think that, and many other things, will make you a wonderful mother of 2! I for one think life can always throw you a curve ball and the way you deal with it defines you as a person! You are an AMAZING person!
Hey Cindy, I might just be an emotional mess but I'm in tears. This blog has really touched my heart. I appreciate your honesty with your emotions and your courage and excitement about this unexpected new life! You guys are already great parents to one (I use many your parenting stlyes as examples of how I'd like to raise a child of our own). You are going to be amazing with two!!! Congrats to you and Jeff!
I just knew it in Mexico. Congratulations. I'm excited that Tanner gets to have a the life experience of sibling. And you and Jeff are fabulous parents!!
Congrats! Not only can you do this, but you (both) will be amazing!! Even us planners, have feelings we don't expect as we await our little miracles!! Tanner will be an amazing big brother and a great helper!!! And just think, you are already done with your yucky trimester...
HUGS!
Veronique
Congrats!!! I was going to apologize for not being up on the blog, but it was nice to hear it from you in person. You are already a fabulous mom: this will just make you twice as good. :-)
Post a Comment