Friday, November 14, 2008

A Tale of Two Kidneys - Chapter Four

Here’s an update on the kidney transplant, but first I wanted to sincerely thank those of you who have offered your kind words of encouragement and who have offered information, research, and support to me. Thank you to those who ask me how things are going and have listened to my experiences. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. All of this has been so incredibly important in strengthening my courage and helping me to achieve my dream.

My kidney test and EKG test results came back fine but the chest xray came back with some “spots” on my lungs that the surgeon wanted checked out further. So there was some additional testing that have delayed things a little, but the news is really uneventful. The lung doctor seems to think that I may have had valley fever at one point in my life, which is very common for people who have lived in Arizona as long as I have. No big deal and nothing to worry about.

I also took a CT this week which was a little more eventful. When I got there, the nurse hooked me up to an IV and said that they were going to give me some radioactive stuff that make my kidneys light up in the CT machine. She said I would get a metallic taste in my mouth, followed by a warm feeling down my center and then it would feel like I was peeing my pants. Nice. So, she puts the stuff in my IV and I feel everything she says; it makes me laugh when it feels like I’m peeing my pants. Then I threw up. The nurse was super fast with a quick trashcan drawl. I was really proud of her. So, I don’t really like the radioactive stuff.

The surgeons are going to meet on Monday morning to take one final look at all my tests. Next they tell the boy’s family.

It seems like they are pretty confident things will go through because I was told today that they have tentatively scheduled the surgery to take place at 7:30am on Friday, December 19. The boy’s surgery is scheduled for the same day at 10:30am. They will rush my kidney to him by a special carrier service (please pull off the road if you hear the sirens, it could be my kidney trying to get through).

I am really excited that the boy’s family will know soon. I hope that they want to meet me. Even knowing his name would help keep my dream in clear focus as I approach this final month of waiting.

Thanks again for your prayers, best wishes and support.

4 comments:

Chris said...

December 19, 2008. I will be there.

Lexy said...

Thanks for sharing the positive news. I just know they will want to meet you. Keep us posted!

Veronique said...

This is amazing! I am in awe of your strength.

Jenny Rodriguez said...

awesome!!! if only more people cared about others, even a fraction of the amount that you do.. what a wondeful world it would be..

best of luck!!! let us know if we can do anything to help!!