Sunday, January 25, 2009

Economic Crisis

We really are living through some amazing times. It is amazing to me how when people are in crisis, like during war or severe economic recessions like this one, we seem to go back to our simplest selves. We go back to the basics of survival and we look for ways to save ourselves and our neighbors. During times of crisis we tend to see how our survival is linked to everyone else's and we know our neighbor's loss is just a prediction of what's to come for us. We reach out to each other looking for help and for ways to help and we stop competing, judging, and fighting because it all seems so petty in such times.

My friends and neighbors are all going through the same thing I am. We are losing our jobs and houses. Our hours are being cut. We are being forced to take unpaid time off work. Our salaries and benefits are being reduced. These days Jeff and I come home to a very different dinner conversation about work. We used to ask each other about the day and the answer would be the same complaints about unrealistic deadlines, mean co-workers, and demanding bosses. But this crisis has made everything simpler. Now Jeff asks me how was my day at work and most times I just smile and say, "I'm thankful for a job." And then we eat.

Having a job is so much simpler. I am no longer concerned about the view from my office, how long the commute to work takes, or even how much I get paid. It's simple. I need a job and I have one.

Having a house and a car is so much simpler. I don't care what year my house is or how many miles are on my car. I need a house and a car and I have them.

I have clothes, I have food, I have a little money in the bank to survive for awhile should either Jeff or I loose our job. It is not enough, but we won't starve.

I need people in my life that love me and that I can love. I have a family. It's simple.

I know these times leave us anxious and depressed. But we will survive them, even if not all of our stuff does. And I believe those who will accept responsibility and reflect on past choices with compassionate wisdom instead of regret will come out of this crisis of better character.

I am scared. But I like how my life has become simple again and how I have learned to be truly grateful for the things that I have. A family. Friends. A job. A house. A car. A simple glass of wine.

Cheers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Ben

Christine said...

Love you!

Ana said...

So right. So true. Cheers.

Chris Bowers said...

Simpler is better!

Karen said...

Absolutely. Thanks Cindy.