Monday, December 06, 2010

Best and Worst Books Read Since 2002

My friends and I recently started back up Book Club, which these days involves babysitters and Skyping. But the wine is just as good as it always was and the smart, beautiful women are the same, but smarter and more beautiful.

When we started Book Club ten years ago I wasn't married. I had no kids. I'd never really took a chance, lost big or let anyone see how vulnerable I was. In the last 10 years I have read close to 150 books. The books have changed me, like every book can change a person.

When women get together to discuss books something wonderful happens. The books are the platform that allows us to express ourselves in the most sincere way to each other. Books give us permission. We may be discussing fictional scenarios, picking apart make-believe characters, analyzing fake settings and interpreting unreal motives. But, the book is a mirror to our own real-life minds and hearts. Our response to the book is what's inside of us and sharing it with friends makes us real. It's what makes us friends.

Here are the best and worst books I read each year, starting in 2002.

2002
Best - Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris
Worst - Peace Like A River by Lief Enger

2003
Best - Red Sky in Morning by Tanii Oldham Ashcroft
Worst - The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank

2004
Best - The Time Traveler's Wife by Audry Niffenegger

Worst - The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

2005
Best - Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
Worst - Little Children by Tom Perrotta

2006
Best - The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Worst - Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

2007
Best - A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Worst - The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards

2008
Best - Stillness Speaks by Eckart Tolle
Worst - The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan

2009
Best - Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
Worst - Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

2010
Best - Dogwood by Chris Fabry
Worst - Plain and Simply by Sue Bender

No comments: