Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Work

Some exciting news for Phoenix Volunteers!

Employee Reach has been pulling me in directions I never imaged and I knew that I couldn't split my time and energy between the two companies. I needed some help and just then, the universe put me in contact with someone who was looking for a leadership opportunity where she could do something meaningful while working with inspired people who were willing to take risks to do purposeful work. She left her last job because she was uninspired and worn down by politics and red tape. She is smart, organized, innovative and optimistic. Her name is Tia Stokes and she has taken over the role of Executive Director/President of Phoenix Volunteers. I will remain the Founder, with creative control and influence over a Board of Directors, and Tia will assume responsibility for carrying out the strategic plan, which includes developing some exciting new programs, recruiting a Board of Directors, and fundraising for a staff of three. I will help with these efforts, but the endeavour will really be hers to charter. Here is a link about her:
http://www.phoenixvolunteers.org/whoweare.html

Meanwhile, Employee Reach takes me on a new adventure everyday. Both Phoenix Volunteers and Employee Reach have challenged me in ways I could never have imaged. Having big dreams has forced me to believe in them, even when part of me doesn't. Each day is a joyful experience of creative freedom and purposeful work. At the same time, there is a huge responsibility as I bring other people and organizations into the mission and deal with marketplace realities such as competition, limited resources and the importance (and scarcity) of a good team. There are days when I feel I have taken on too much and there is no possible way to make my efforts sustainable (let alone profitable!). But, that too is a lesson in faith. All I can do it try my hardest, be thankful for all that I have, love and appreciate the people who support me, and never, never, never forget the reason I am doing this: To be of humble service and inspiration to others.

1 comment:

Lexy said...

I'm so proud of you!