Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!


Mother's Day started for me with breakfast in bed delivered by the two most handsome maitre d’s in the whole world. Then I got to open my Mother's Day gift from Tanner, pictured here. He picked them out himself - plastic flowers, multicolored golf tees and a pink candle. How I treasure these perfect gifts!

After being showered with gifts, coffee and food, Jeff took Tanner to do "guy stuff" all morning so that I can have the house all to myself. Do you hear that? Yes, it's called silence. Happy Silence Day to me!!

Mother's Day is great for being appreciated and it's got me thinking about what I appreciate about my own mom. I think the most resounding thing my mom taught me was to never count on anyone else.

I know this may seem guarded and mistrustful, a reluctant and apprehensive trait to have. But it has served me well and taught me how to own and defend my
right to happiness. Although I am happy to share my life with the ones I love, my mother taught me not to rely on them entirely for all the joy life has to offer.
This frame of mind has me to know that, should the unlikely and unwanted circumstance ever arise that left me alone, I'm confident that I could take care of myself. My world could go on and I would survive. This self assurance I owe to my mother who always expected me to take care of myself.
And so I have. And so I can.

Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Lexy said...

I love Tanner's gift. The golf tees are hillarious. So cute. Glad you had such a perfect mothers day - you deserve it!!

Amy said...

I absolutely love Tanner's gifts to you....so cute!! I just love how little kids think. I also think your mom's advice is valuable. Hope you had a wonderful day!! :)