Saturday, August 04, 2007

Getting my life back!

It feels like I get my life back today. Yesterday was the last day of the summer internship. I spent the day hugging and wiping tears as I said good-bye to 30 bright young students and sent them back to academia to cram, party, and oversleep a couple more semesters before they enter the "real world." I would image this feels a little like parents feel when their kids go to school. I will miss them and worry about them, but PLEASE, get out!!! I need my time and space back!!

They did an excellent job during their last week when they presented their summer's project to our executive team. I got a lot of head nods, hand shakes and congratulations from the execs and I have to admit that I was beaming with pride for them.

I was interviewed this summer by the Tempe Tribune and Arizona's Woman Magazine for designing programs that address generation differences in the workplace and for introducing a premier internships program to Phoenix. Seems we are getting some publicity for our student programs; I'm both happy and a little intimidated as I found myself getting quickly "media trained" at the last minute.

This summer was full of hard work and pleasant surprises. Wednesday evening I threw a commencement dinner where our COO addresses executives and interns with an inspirational commencement speech that made me cry. I was nervous for a week straight because I hosted this event and had to present several times - in front of the COO!! Very nerve racking.

But it was all made worth it when the interns surprised me by coming up to the stage to give me flowers and a gift. Even more surprising was the standing ovation that followed and included the COO. Receiving a standing ovation from a room full of people I respect, admire and adore might have been the single most exhilarating moment of my life (next to when they put Tanner in my arms for the first time). Words can not describe it. I feel incredibly blessed and eternally thankful for such an experience.

I'm exhausted, relieved and happy for the program to be over. But for all the stress, anticipation and hard work, still - I feel like someone should pinch me. I absolutely love this job.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Congrats Cindy on a job well done! You deserve some pampering!

Also congrats on getting your life back!