Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Tolerance

It is so exciting to be living in a time when tolerance has allowed the U.S. presidential candidates to include a black president and a female vice president. I don't consider myself to be especially patriotic, however, I have never been more proud to live in this country.

Although I am very happy about the presidential election results, I’m disappointed in the great loss that my gay and lesbian friends suffered as a result of the many measures that were passed that prohibit their legal right to be a family. Ban-gay-marriage amendments were approved in California, Florida and Arizona and Arkansas voters approved a measure banning unmarried couples from adopting children.

I know that a marriage license is just a piece of paper and can never truly represent the love and partnership of two people committed to sharing their lives together. But, I can’t help imaging how painful it would be if anyone ever told me that I could not be married to or raise children with Jeff. And I do not believe that my love for him is any more real than the love I have witnessed between the two lesbian couples I know.

In my mind, tolerance opened one door but closed another. I have faith though. I have much faith.

2 comments:

Veronique said...

I've been sick to my stomach all day about this. I know in the future these amendments will be seen as a great injustice. I just can't believe there is still such hate and bigotry. It is so truly sad!

Lexy said...

I know we will look back on this and wonder how people could have possible felt this way. Only 30 years ago there were still "white only" restaurants in this country. I really believe people only fear what they don't know. Hopefully this will all change soon... Thanks for sharing.